Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Things I Like and Don't Like...

Just in case you were ever curious, here is a random list of my likes and dislikes…

I like books by Erik Larson. He is so good. They are all non-fiction, but they are much more interesting than almost any novel found on the shelves of Books-A-Million. I am reading Thunderstruck right now, and it is really, really good.

I really don’t like it when bands or artists produce one really good record and then the rest of their music is no good. I listen to Sean McConnell’s 200 Orange Street CD all the time, and would consider it one of my all-time favorite records. So I got his Cold Black Sky as soon as I could. It is just not all that good. I mean, it has some great songs on it, but nothing like the consistent quality of 200 Orange Street (an album I recommend, by the way).

I love The Godfather movies. All of them I know it is taboo, but I even like the 3rd one. I do. I just love those movies! How great would it be to get to wear those wicked cool suits and speak Italian and carry a gun? I just don’t know very many guys who wouldn’t love to be a gangster, you know? I want that music to start playing every time I do something cool. I want, just once, to say to someone, “I made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.”

I like having my laundry done. Doesn’t that just feel great?

I hate sand storms. I just experienced my first here in West Texas, and I certainly hope it to be my last.

I really don’t like really sugary foods and drinks. I just don’t like super sweet things. It is so weird. The older I get, the less I like sugar. I tried to drink a Capri Sun earlier and couldn’t even get through it.

But I do love coffee. If there is one substance on earth without which I could never live, it would be coffee. But not this super dolled-up stuff. I am talking coffee. Dark, rich, bold, and juicy. And the older I get, the more I am drinking it like my grandfather—black. Now I don’t expect everyone to go with me on that, but I just like the flavor of black coffee. Every now and then I like a little cream, just to take the edge off—but only in really bold coffee

I like it when Bible teachers cuss. I don’t know why.

I do not, in any way, shape, or form, like carrots. Vile orange weeds. Edible spawn of Satan. Why would I like any food that tastes as though it is nature’s feces, has relatively little nutritional value, and makes people turn orange if consumed in large doses? I am struggling to see the up-side to all of this.

Oh, but I love Mexican food enough for the whole world. Taco Bell/Bueno, Tex-Mex, authentic only-made-in-Mexico, it doesn’t matter. I’ll eat it and love it.

I like seeing people I knew a long time ago. It is awkward at times because you never know what to say, but I still like it. It is amazing the number of people who come in and out of our lives at different stages. I’d love to read someone’s theological reflection on that phenomenon someday.

And last, but not least, I like written prayers. I am beginning to read a lot of devotional literature, and have been really impacted by the written prayers of Walter Brueggemann, Michel Quoist, and others. I have even begun to write some of my own. Who knows, maybe I’ll post one or two sometime.

That is all for now.

What do you like?

No comments: